Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cavan

09 March 2013

1858 – AIB, Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Architect: William G. Murray Built as a branch of the Provincial Bank of Ireland, and now a branch for AIB. In traditional Irish manner, contains a residence for the branch manager. Photograph courtesy,...

28 September 2009

1859 – Former Methodist Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Hague Former church with truncated spire over the doorway. A simple exercise in Gothic revival.

17 September 2009

1860 – St. Feithlim’s, Kilmore Cathedral, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Slater Work on the present cathedral began in 1858, and it was designed by the English architect William Slater. The porch was added to the Cathedral in 1869, from William Slater’s...

30 September 2014

1860s – The Castle, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Victorian house, the home of the 1st and indeed last Lord Lisgar, who was Governor of New South Wales, and later Governor-General of Canada. Also known as Lisgar House or Bailieborough Castle. In...

29 April 2014

1862 – St. Joseph’s School & Convent, Cavan

Architect: John Ryan The Poor Clares founded a convent in Cavan in 1861 in a large premises on Main Street. As a closed contemplative order the nuns themselves were never seen by the...

14 August 2013

1863 – Saint Brigid’s Church, Killeshandra, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Hague Incomplete as designed and illustrated, Hague’s fantastically ornate spire wasn’t constructed and was capped off at the top of a simplified version of the tower. Finished in local stone with...

28 September 2009

1863 – St. Aiden’s Church, Butlersbridge, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Hague This church designed by local architect William Hague, and is one of his most important early works. It was built on land donated by the local landlord, the Earl of...

01 April 2014

1870 – Presbyterian Manse, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Part of a series of Presbyterian manses built across county Cavan in the 1870s.

01 October 2012

1878 – Masonic Hall, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Originally built by First and Second Bailieborough Presbyterian Churches as an institute for the education of boys in their faith. In 1903 it was acquired by the Masonic Order and it continues to...