Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Derry

24 September 2009

1533 – St. Columbs’s Cathedral, Derry

Described in Tours in Ulster a hand-book to the antiquities and scenery of the north of Ireland., published in 1854. – “The Cathedral, which is capable of seating one thousand persons with ease,...

03 January 2013

1622 – Exchange or Market House, Derry

Originally erected by the London Corporation at a cost of over 500 pounds after a decision taken in 1616 that “a market house and a town house should be erected in Derry, by...

27 May 2012

1680 – Springhill House, Moneymore, Co. Derry

This 17th century unfortified houses, owned by the National Trust was built about 1680 and was originally surrounded by a defensive bawn. Around 1765 two single-storey wings were added and the entrance front...

03 January 2013

1692 – Exchange, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Captain Francis Neville Built to replace the Exchange of 1622, which was largely destroyed during the Siege of Derry. According to the Ordnance survey of the county of Londonderry (1837): “The Town...

15 July 2012

1776c – Downhill House, Co. Derry

Architect: Michael Shanahan Frederick Hervey commissioned work at Downhill Demesne near the village of Castlerock in the early 1770s, after he was made the Bishop of Derry in 1768. Built by the architect...

12 October 2012

1785 – Mussenden Temple, Co. Derry

Built in 1785 and forms part of the estate of Frederick Augustus Hervey, the 4th Earl of Bristol, Bishop of Derry. Built as a library and modelled from the Temple of Vesta in...

15 October 2012

1787 – Ballyscullion House, Co. Derry

Architect: Michael Shanahan Ballyscullion House was one of three eccentric palaces built by the equally eccentric Frederick Augustus Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Lord Bishop of Derry. The other two were at...

26 March 2014

1789 – Bishop Gate, City Walls, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Henry Aaron Baker The present Bishop Gate was built in 1789 as a triumphal arch to mark the first centenary of the closing of the gates by The Apprentice Boys of Derry....

29 May 2015

1814 – Former Foyle College, Derry

Architect: John Bowden Foyle College traces its origins to 1617 and the establishment of the Free Grammar School at Society Street within the city walls of Derry by Mathias Springham of the Merchant...

Pages:1234Next »

Skip to toolbar