Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Co. Derry

26 March 2012

1823 – First Presbyterian Church, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: Jessie Gibson Jessie Gibson was employed as surveyor by three City of London companies, the Saddlers’, the Drapers’ and the Vintners’. It was as surveyor to the Draper’s Company, a post which...

06 January 2016

1824 – Derry Gaol, Co. Derry

The fourth gaol constructed in Derry, it opened in 1824, and closed in 1953, and was demolished bar one tower in the early 1970s. It had a a unique horsehoe plan and was...

25 March 2014

1827 – Presbyterian Church, Ballykelly, Co. Derry

Architect: Richard Suter Constructed by the Fishmongers Company London who owned the land around Ballykelly for the local populace after they discovered the poor condition of the existing church. Richard Suter was Surveyor...

08 October 2013

1828 – Governor Walker’s Monument, Derry

Architect: John Henry The former Walker’s Pillar was a memorial to Rev. George Walker, the rector of Donaghmore, Co. Tyrone, who came to Derry prior to the Siege of 1688-89. He was quickly...

25 March 2014

1831 – 2nd Presbyterian Church, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth This classical barn style church was erected in 1831 as the Meeting House for the congregation, which had seceded from the 1st Presbyterian Church on Stonard St., in 1818....

01 March 2014

1832 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth / J.H. Fullerton Designed in a Norman revival style by the architect William Booth for The Drapers Company who also paid for much of the renovation and construction of...

12 January 2016

1840 – Gywn’s Institution, Brooke Park, Derry

Architect: Samuel Jackman John Gwyn was a local businessman, who was born near Muff in County Donegal in 1754. He later moved to Derry with his mother and began a grocery business in...

25 March 2014

1846 – Assembly Rooms, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth Constructed as the Parochial Sunday School by Booth for the Draper’s Company estates. The war memorial is attached to the side wall of the building, and contains the names...

01 April 2014

1849 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Ballinderry, Co. Derry

Architect: Joseph Welland Fine yet simple Church of Ireland by Joseph Welland.