Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Donegal

30 November 2009

1474 – Donegal Castle,Co. Donegal

The castle consists of a 15th century rectangular keep with a later Jacobean style wing. The complex is surrounded by a 17th century boundary wall, with a small gatehouse at its entrance mirroring...

21 April 2014

1737 – Royal & Prior School, Raphoe, Co. Donegal

In 1608, King Charles I granted a charter which founded the Royal Schools across Ulster. By 1618, As part of this charter, a Royal School was established in Donegal town, which relocated to...

17 April 2015

1746 – Port Hall, Lifford, Co. Donegal

Architect: Michael Priestly Built in 1746 for John Vaughan of Buncrana Castle, to designs believed to be by Michael Priestly who also built Lifford Courthouse. Door surmounted by the arms of George II.

06 March 2012

1817 – Fanad Lighthouse, Co. Donegal

Architect: George Halpin Construction started in 1812-13 with the tone brought pre-cut from North Wall, Dublin. Light first lit St Patrick’s Day 1817.

02 January 2013

1820 – Rathmullan House, Co. Donegal

Built in 1820 as a summer house for the family of Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Knox, Rathmullan House is now a small country house hotel.

04 July 2015

1860 – Church of St. Baithen, St. Johnstown, Co. Donegal

Architect: E.W. Godwin A small severe-looking church, the interior of which has sadly been ruined by modernisation. Exterior finished in rubble stone with sandstone trimmings. Constructed between 1857-60. In 1860 “The Dublin Builder”...

07 April 2011

1863 – Lough Eske Castle, Co. Donegal

Architect: Fitzgibbon Louch The original castle was first built around 1474. The current Lough Eske Castle was reconstructed in the 1860s by the Brooke family on the site of their medieval castle. The...

01 April 2014

1863 – Railway Station, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Architect: John C. Bower The station opened on 3 September 1863 on the Finn Valley Railway line from Glenties to Stranorlar. Stranorlar became the headquarters of the successor company, the Donegal Railway Company...

06 July 2015

1866 – House, Glenties, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey Never constructed on the site intended for it, opposite the old church of St. Conall on which Hevey also worked. “Our illustration with this No., is of a house to...

Pages:123Next »