Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Donegal

29 May 2014

1870s – Meen Glas House, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

A mid-sized Victorian house in a simple Tudor-Revival style with steep roofs and gables; and mullioned windows. It had a three-sided bow; and a dormer window with tracery; a slender, square turret at...

02 March 2014

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey The Hibernian Bank aggressively pursued the business of the new Catholic middle classes, and in doing so, used an architectural idiom similar to that being used in the new churches...

23 May 2014

1876 – Catholic Hall, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey “This building, of which we gave exterior and interior views with last number, has been erected in Letterkenny, County Donegal, to supply a want long experiences, as heretofore there was...

28 May 2014

1877 – St. Finian’s Church & School, Falcarragh, Co. Donegal

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne ‘ Design for new church with proposed school and presbytery. Although the school was built largely as illustrated, the presbytery was not constructed. The church was built albeit minus...

07 October 2014

1890 – Bayview Terrace, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

Fine rendered Victorian terrace. At the time of construction, Bundoran was a popular ‘genteel’ seaside resort. It was connected to the Great Northern Railway in 1876. The GNR rebuilt the station, and constructed...

16 April 2014

1891 – Railway Station, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

The railway opened in 1886 for the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway and taken over by the Great Northern Railway in 1876. This station was erected in 1891 to replace an old wooden structure....

07 October 2014

1893 – Rosapenna Hotel, Carrigart, Co. Donegal

An unusual looking building for Ireland, but with good reason as it was designed in Stockholm, constructed in wood, and shipped to Mulroy. It was built as a golfing destination – with a...

21 April 2014

1894 – Great Northern Hotel, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The opening of the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway (E&BR) in 1868 connected Bundoran with Ireland’s growing railway network and made the town more accessible from Belfast, and Dublin. The...

03 July 2015

18th C. – Drumboe Castle, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Large Georgian house with a polygonal central bay and curved bows to the ends of the wings.Now a ruin, after being used as the General Headquarters for the Irish Free State forces in...

Skip to toolbar