Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Down

03 March 2015

1795 – Market House, Ballynahinch, Co. Down

Described in Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland as ” There is a large court-house in the square, built by Lord Moira in 1795, but now in a dilapidated state.” After lying derelict for...

09 December 2014

1800 – Market House, Kilkeel, Co. Down

Sited at the top of Kilmorey Square, the Market House contained a covered market space at ground level with a municipal space above. The upper floor was used as a courthouse and also...

23 March 2012

1823 – Ormeau House, Co. Down

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison A long rambling Tudor mansion designed for the 2nd Marquess of Donegall on the then outskirts of Belfast, who was in exile from his creditors in England. Originally a...

06 December 2013

1825 – Purdysburn House, Newtownbreda, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Hopper Described simple as “Purdysburn, the splendid mansion of Narcissus Batt, Esq., built after a design by Hopper” in Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837). When two of the...

30 September 2014

1826 – Church of Ireland, Warrenpoint, Co. Down

Originally a simple rectangular building of roughcast stone, ornamented with cut granite and a square tower, measuring 68 feet by 28 feet. It was built in 1826 at a cost of £900 which...

30 September 2014

1831 – Presbyterian Church, Bangor, Co. Down

Situated on Main Street in Bangor, the First Presbyterian Church is a fine church building constructed in stages. The main body of the church was constructed in 1831 with the tower and steeple...

14 January 2013

1832 – Donard Lodge, Newcastle, Co. Down

Architect: John Lynn, Thomas Duff, Thomas Jackson Built in 1829-32 by the 3rd Earl Annesley as a marine residence. The architect at first was John Lynn, who designed and built the garden front,...

17 October 2012

1837 – Narrow Water Castle, Warrenpoint, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Duff A large and imposing Tudor-Revival mansion of about 1836, by Thomas Duff of Newry. Added to an existing house, Mount Hall, which was built in the 1680s. Mount Hall was...

25 September 2009

1840 – Mount Stewart House, Co. Down

Architect: George Dance / William Vitruvius Morrison Between 1804 and 1806, the London architect George Dance was employed by Alexander Stewart, later first Marquess of Londonderry, to design what is now the west...


Skip to toolbar