Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Down

04 December 2014

1862 – Model School, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: Frederick Darley Designed in a Jacobean style, the Model School opened in July 1862. One of a ]number of Model Schools around the country, it was non-sectarian with the different religions of...

06 January 2015

1865 – Dufferin Drive, Clandeboye, Co. Down

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey Clandeboye Avenue was a private lane leading from the Clandeboye Estate to near the shore at Helen’s Bay. This section, close to the station at Helen’s Bay, is now a...

19 January 2015

1865 – Railway Station, Helen’s Bay, Co. Down

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey Opened in 1865 and built at the expense of the Marquis of Dufferin and Ave, whose estate it was situated in. Constructed for the Belfast & Co. Down Railway Company,...

29 September 2014

1865 – Redburn House, Holywood, Co. Down

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Redburn House was designed by the architects Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon and built for Robert Grimshaw Dunville and his wife Jeannie in 1865. The Dunvilles were wealthy landowners...

01 March 2014

1870 – Burns Hotel, Shore Rd., Holywood, Co. Down

Architect: Timothy Hevey New railway hotel premises from Mr. Patrick Burns, Shore Rd., Hollywood, Co. Down. “The material used in the construction is perforated brick and Scrabo stone, the stone being introduced sparingly....

28 July 2015

1870 – Christ Church of Ireland, Kilmore, Co. Down

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew “It is a picturesque and prettily-situated building, of a character in harmony with its rural position. It is intended to accommodate 300 persons, and is carefully planned, with attention...

01 March 2012

1873 – St. Colmans Church, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Timothy Hevey Designed by architect Timothy Hevey of Belfast in an early English Gothic. Built in black stone, with freestone dressings, the walls are supported with courses and buttresses. The church consists...

27 February 2014

1873 – Town Hall, Holywood, Co. Down­

Architect: William Batt Red & white brick townhall with with cement dressings. Built in two stages, with the tower completed a couple of years later. Published in The Irish Builder April 1 1876.

31 July 2014

1874 – Villas, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson Terrace of four villas constructed in Rostrevor, and published in The Irish Builder, May 15 1874. Watson was a Newry-based architect who had a thriving practice in this part...


Skip to toolbar