Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Monaghan

29 September 2009

1790 – Former St. Luke’s Church of Ireland, Killeevan, Co. Monaghan

Set in an old graveyard, now only the tower remains of this former Church of Ireland. The stepped tower has a simple Georgian doorway surmounted by a plaque with a Latin inscription. A...

29 September 2009

1792 – Market House, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Colonel William Hayes The Market House was designed by Colonel William Hayes of Avondale, County Wicklow and stands in the middle of Market Square. The building is of five bays in length...

29 September 2009

1799 – Hope Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Robert Woodgate Known also as Blayney Castle after the plantation castle nearby (from which the town gets its name), Hope Castle has had many owners and uses over the years. Originally a...

29 September 2009

17th C – Old Cross, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

The origins of the Old Cross are unclear. It’s unclear if it were even a cross – sepculation suggests that it may have been a seventeenth century sundial. It has an unusual head...

29 September 2009

1809 – Dawson Monument, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

An obelisk-style monument, situated between Cootehill and Rockcorry, this was erected by local electors in honour of the 18th century MP Richard Dawson of nearby Dartrey. He was returned to five successive parliaments.

29 September 2009

1812 – Castle Leslie Gate Lodge, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John Nash Appealing gothick treatment for a gate lodge to the main castle. Unusual in that the main house is in a Scottish baronial style. The facade is a charming sham, a...

29 September 2009

1812 – Castle Leslie Gothic Gateway, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John Nash Simple yet elegant design leading to the long avenue to the castle. Now unused, the gates themselves have fallen into disrepair. There is an unusual gatehouse adjacent also designed by...

18 February 2014

1814 – Newbliss House, Newbliss, Co. Monaghan

An early 19th century house of two storeys with a five bay main front. The enclosed porch features two Ionic columns. Owned by the Ker family who largely developed the village of Newbliss,...

06 February 2013

1824 – Old Town Chapel, Park Street, Monaghan

Replaced by William Hague’s church, which was constructed alongside, this simple church with gothic windows to the street was demolished in teh early 20th century.


Skip to toolbar