Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Monaghan

29 September 2009

1850 – Former Garda Station, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: E.T. Owen / Board of Public Works Like many buildings around the country from the time of the British administration, the former Police Station in Monaghan has an urban legend connected. The...

30 November 2009

1850 – New Stables, Dartrey, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Burn The Dartrey New Stables are a purpose built stable block with enclosed cobble yard from the early nineteenth century to designs of William Burn who designed the now demolished Dartrey...

29 September 2009

1855 – Former Savings Bank, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Deane Butler Small detailed bank building with interior accommodation including small porch and banking hall, and small offices.

29 September 2009

1855 – St. James Church of Ireland, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Barre Designed by William Barre who died before it was complete, this is a fine little Church of Ireland which has recently had a restoration. The asymmetrically sited tower marks the...

29 September 2009

1856 – Townhall, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Architect: An unusual building on an awkward sloping site surrounded by streets on all sides. Poorly maintained, this building should be an attractive landmark for this end of Castleblayney. Because of the slope,...

29 September 2009

1857 – Dawson Monument, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Barre The Dawson Monument was built to commemorate Colonel Dawson – a local landowner who died at the battle of Inkerman in 1854. A tall obelisk designed by W.J. Barre of...

29 September 2009

1858 – Church of Ireland, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Joseph Welland The fine Church of Ireland in the Diamond in Clones dominates the town and area, as it can be seen for several miles as you approach the town. It is...

29 September 2009

1858 – Church of Ireland, Killeevan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Joseph Welland & Son A simple and austere Church of Ireland set on a hillside overlooking the small village of Killeevan, the tower and spire were later additions. The external detailing of...

16 August 2013

1858 – Former School, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Roderick Gray Originally constructed as a school for females by the wife of the local rector, Cassandra Hand. Hand was also responsible for starting the lace making industry in Clones. Designed by...