Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Monaghan

17 February 2015

1861 – St. Mary’s Church, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James Hughes Probably designed by James Hughes, of Charlemont, Co Armagh who died in 1875. The Builder of 7 August 1875 notes that ‘the deceased was an architect of ability’ with ‘several...

29 September 2009

1865 – Stableyard, Hope Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Fine stableyard with accomodation set around three sides of a square and decoration stone archways set into the centre of the fourth. Not the most elaborate Stableyard in County Monaghan by any means,...

29 September 2009

1867 – St. Joseph’s Church, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan

Architect: J.J. Mc Carthy An excellent example of the Gothic revival by J.J. McCarthy, known as the “Irish Pugin”, and who designed many churches across Ireland. Of particular significance in the church are...

30 September 2009

1868 – Bessmount, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Barre Originally a relatively conventional Georgian residence, Bessmount was redesigned by William Barre (architect of the Dawson Monument in the centre of nearby Monaghan town) for William Henderson around 1869. The...

29 September 2009

1870 – Castle Leslie, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Castle Leslie stands on the site of an earlier castle and was designed by Charles Lanyon and W.H. Lynn in 1870 for John Leslie MP. Designed in the...

29 September 2009

1870 – Town Gates, Hope Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Fine set of piers and gates flanked by matching gatehouses in an Italianate style.

30 September 2009

1871 – St. Davnet’s Hospital, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John McCurdy Large complex of buildings built between 1869-71. The main block is said to be over sixty bays long, the building is built of rubblestone and brick detailing. The complex has...

30 September 2009

1873 – Westenra Arms Hotel, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Hague Large redbrick hotel with fine detailing including windows at ground floor and cornice, and very substantial chimneys, constructed in the late 19th century. Alongwith the adjoining former Town Hall, these...

29 September 2009

1874 – Hilton Park, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Hague Originally known as Maddenton, Hilton Park was redesigned by William Hague (primarily a catholic church architect) in 1874. Originally it may have been rebuilt after a fire in 1804 by...