Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Monaghan

29 September 2009

1874 – Hilton Park, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Hague Originally known as Maddenton, Hilton Park was redesigned by William Hague (primarily a catholic church architect) in 1874. Originally it may have been rebuilt after a fire in 1804 by...

30 September 2009

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Formerly the Hibernian Bank – the Bank of Ireland is a good example of the bank’s campaign to attract catholic wealth in the late 19th century. This was done...

29 September 2009

1875 – Lodge, Castle Leslie, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Charles Lanyon At the entrance to the Leslie Demense from the village, this substantial stone building has been used as a hotel, and is now part of the family’s equestrian centre. Presumably...

17 September 2009

1876 – Rossmore Mausoleum, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: E.J. Tarver The Rossmore Mausoleum was designed by E.J. Tarver for the 4th Baron Rossmore who died after a hunting accident at Windsor Castle in 1874 aged 23. Built on a rocky...

30 September 2009

1876 – Rossmore Memorial, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: E.J. Tarver The Rossmore Memorial in the Diamond was possibly designed by E.J. Tarver as a memorial to the 4th Baron Rossmore who died after a hunting accident at Windsor Castle in...

29 September 2009

1878 – Leslie Memorial, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Sir John Leslie Designed by Sir John Leslie in memory of his brother Charles from whom he inherited the estate.

29 September 2009

1881 – Christ Church of Ireland, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: J.H. Fullerton A simple Church of Ireland sited on one of the two highest points in Ballybay, the other now home to the later Catholic Church. Unusually for such a small church,...

30 September 2009

1882 – Orange Hall, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Batt Interesting and picturesque little brick building with octagonal corner turret and wooden porch. It was built in memory of Mr. Henry George Johnston of Fort Johnston, Glaslough, Monaghan and Captain...

30 September 2009

1885 – St Louis Convent, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Large complex of building facing a small lake, started in 1859 although a convent had been in operation on this site for some years before. This complex was finally completed in 1959 when...


Skip to toolbar