Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Monaghan

30 September 2009

1885 – St Louis Convent, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Large complex of building facing a small lake, started in 1859 although a convent had been in operation on this site for some years before. This complex was finally completed in 1959 when...

29 September 2009

1891 – Church of St. Peter, Laragh, Co. Monaghan

Laragh near Broomfield, in County Monaghan is a former mill village of which little remains. In the 19th century there was a lot of activity in the flax industry in the area. Sited...

30 September 2009

1891- St Macartan’s Cathedral, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: J.J. McCarthy / William Hague St Macartan’s Cathedral was constructed between 1861 and 1891 and is the most impressive of J.J McCarthy’s cathedrals – McCarthy was known as the Irish pugin due...

30 September 2009

1900 – Churches, St. Davnet’s Hospital, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Hague & McNamara In the grounds of St. Davnet’s Hospital are two small churches, one for the Catholic faith and the other Church of Ireland. Designed by Hague & McNamara, the practice...

30 September 2009

1900 – First Presbyterian Church, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Roome & Boag Incomplete, this church in Old Cross Square was intended to have a tall slender spire. It is a pity that this never occurred as it would have improved the...

30 September 2009

1900 – Former Provincial Bank, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John Clarke Fine stone and brick Georgian house of around 1830 with later banking hall adjoining added around 1900. Now unused as a bank, the banking hall has a toplit central space...

01 October 2012

1900 – St. Joseph’s Church, Park St., Monaghan

Architect: William Hague Fine barn style gothic church by William Hague who finished the town’s cathedral after the death of the architect J.J. McCarthy. Construction begun in summer of 1891, with work completed...

23 January 2015

1900 – The Fountain, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Memorial fountain to Queen Victoria, manufactured by a Glaswegian firm, Walter McFarland & Co., in the hundreds for locations throughout the British Empire. Demolished in a traffic accident and never repaired. A similar...

16 August 2013

1905 – Houses, The Diamond, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William A. Scott Attractive terrace of three Arts & Crafts style houses, that replaced an earlier range of large thatched buildings.