Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

29 September 2009

1812 – Castle Leslie Gothic Gateway, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John Nash Simple yet elegant design leading to the long avenue to the castle. Now unused, the gates themselves have fallen into disrepair. There is an unusual gatehouse adjacent also designed by...

10 April 2013

1812 – Garvey House, Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Francis Johnston A large three-storey, seven-bay house, for local MP, Nathaniel Montgomery Moore. The house was named after his mother’s maiden name. Ultimately the cost was said to have been £70,000, which...

17 February 2015

1812 – St. George’s, High Street, Belfast

Architect: John Bowden Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Situated in High-street, and erected in the years 1811-12, on the site of an old church taken down in...

18 February 2014

1814 – Newbliss House, Newbliss, Co. Monaghan

An early 19th century house of two storeys with a five bay main front. The enclosed porch features two Ionic columns. Owned by the Ker family who largely developed the village of Newbliss,...

17 February 2015

1814 – Royal Academical Institution, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Soane The Institution was founded by the public subscription of the citizens of Belfast in the early years of the nineteenth century. Designed by John Soane, after a process where he...

28 September 2009

1815 – Market House, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Duff On a steeply sloped site in Market Square, the former Market House featured an open arcade of arches at ground level (to the rear of the façade above). Later the...

15 October 2014

1816 – St. Gobhann’s Church of Ireland, Seagoe, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Largely constructed in 1816 near the site of former one, which had become too small. Described by Lewis as ‘a large handsome edifice in the early English style, with...

06 March 2012

1817 – Fanad Lighthouse, Co. Donegal

Architect: George Halpin Construction started in 1812-13 with the tone brought pre-cut from North Wall, Dublin. Light first lit St Patrick’s Day 1817.

28 September 2009

1818 – Orange Hall, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Unusual Orange Hall that consiste of a later hall from 1950 built behind an older building of 1818 with twin pediments and coach arches.