Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

28 September 2009

1832 – St Patrick’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Armagh

Architects: Lewis Cottingham / Thomas Drew The present Anglican cathedral in the city is mostly a 19th century restoration of the 13th century shell and is sited on a hill in the centre...

01 March 2014

1832 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth / J.H. Fullerton Designed in a Norman revival style by the architect William Booth for The Drapers Company who also paid for much of the renovation and construction of...

13 February 2015

1833 – Christ Church, College Square, Belfast

Architect: William Farrell Designed to accommodate 1,650, consecrated 25 July 1833 and closed June 1993. After lying redundant for several years, it suffered severe fire damage in 1996, with just four walls and...

28 September 2009

1834 – 1-5 St. Mark’s Place, The Mall, Armagh, Co. Armagh

A good collection of terraced houses along the Mall. Though not of the quality of Beresford Terrace or Charlemont Place, these are good quality houses. The end house also has substantial outbuildings and...

28 September 2009

1834 – County Museum, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Murray Now housing the County Museum, this small pedimented building with twin entrances on either side was originally built as a small meeting house. Cleanly detailed with tall thin roundheaded windows.

29 September 2009

1835 – Hilton Park Dovecote, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James Jones An interesting feature of the Hilton estate is the vast tower over a gateway into the farm yard to the rear of the house. This dovecote with its medieval appearance...

29 September 2009

1836 – Castleshane, Co. Monaghan

Originally a medieval house on the site was constructed in 1591, this Elizabethan or Jacobean style house was built in 1836 for the Lucas Scudamores. Castleshane consisted of a four storey tower with...

28 September 2009

1836 – Presbyterian Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Fine little building with decorative pinnacles and crisp detailing. The battlemented porch with twin-light window is an especially attractive feature.

29 September 2009

1836 – St Patrick’s Church of Ireland, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Farrell Next to the Courthouse is St Patrick’s Church of Ireland – a fine building with aneedle spire, tall lancet windows and pinnacles along its length. According to reports of the...


Skip to toolbar