Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

01 December 2013

1838 – Ballydrain, Dunmurray, Co. Antrim

Architect: Edward Blore / W.H. Lynn The original house was designed by Blore in a Tudor Revival style. In October 1836 he visited the estate “to examine the House and advise with Mr....

28 September 2009

1838 – Savings Bank, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Murray Fine classical Savings Bank building on a prominant site close to the Mall. Well proportioned and in good condition, it is now for sale following some bank mergers and branch...

06 March 2015

1839 – Market House, Ederney, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: William Deane Butler Originally constructed as a market house circa 1839 and converted into a townhall in 1889. It’s a substantial building for a small town, with fine stone walls and central...

01 October 2014

1839 – St. Anne’s Church, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

St. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church was erected in 1839 and replaced an older Church near to this site which was described as a long thatched Chapel, which was built during the late 1700s....

12 October 2012

1840 – Castle Saunderson, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Castle Saunderson is a large castellated mansion in a Tudor-Revival style. The majority of the structure dates from 1840, architect unknown, but it was added onto an earlier house creating an unusual appearance...

25 September 2009

1840 – Church of Ireland Cathedral, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: William Farrell When designing the Cathedral, William Farrell kept the tower of the earlier Plantation church, but built the new church off-axis, leaving the tower to stand to oneside of the wide...

01 December 2011

1840 – Design for St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh

Architect: Thomas Duff St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh, as designed by Thomas J. Duff of Newry, c. 1840. Published in John Gallogly: The History of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh, M. H. Gill & Son,...

22 October 2013

1840 – Glasshouse, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon As originally built, it was to the designs of Charles Lanyon in 1840. Turner & Walker were the contractors for first stage. The central dome, built by Young of Edinburgh...

29 September 2009

1840 – Lock Keeper’s Cottage, Templetate Lock, Smithborough, Co. Monaghan

Fine stone cottage overlooking a former lock on the now closed Ulster Canal. The canal which linked Lough Erne to Lough Neagh was never a financial success and was only open for a...