Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

29 September 2009

1844 – Former Library, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Deane Butler A fine symmetrical building by William Deane Butler. It was originally built as a market house and the ground floor is arcaded, although the openings have now been filled...

24 September 2009

1844 – Saint Malachy’s Church, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson Originally Saint Malachy’s was intended to be the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Down and Connor and was to seat 7,000 worshippers but in the time when the Great...

29 September 2009

1845 – Corrigan’s or Emy Mill, Co. Monaghan

Corrigan’s or Emy Mill is located about a half mile to the south of Mullan. This impressive ten storey mill was probably built as a spinning mill originally. This building subscribes to Mc...

12 December 2011

1845 – Ulster Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon A school for the education of the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind, designed by Charles Lanyon in an Elizabethan style. Costing £8,000, it opened to pupils in 1845 and was demolished...

25 March 2014

1846 – Assembly Rooms, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth Constructed as the Parochial Sunday School by Booth for the Draper’s Company estates. The war memorial is attached to the side wall of the building, and contains the names...

31 January 2014

1846 – Castle Buildings, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Corner of Castle Place and Donegall Place – a three storey stucco building with round headed windows. Also known as Gibsons Corner, it was the first commercial development on Donegall Place which had...

29 September 2009

1846 – Dartrey, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Burn Also known as Dawson Grove, Dartrey was built in 1846 and designed by William Burn as a large Elizabethan Revivial mansion to replace an earlier house on the site. Built...

06 January 2012

1847 – Design for County Court House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Unbuilt design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. With its curved screen walls, it is extremely reminiscent of the former Parliament Building in Dublin. As it was the...

01 October 2014

1847 – Model House, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Architect: Frederick Darley Erected as an Agricultural Training School with suitable offices and a 48 acre farm attached. Intended as a training school where eight pupils boarded and were taught both the theory...