Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

25 March 2014

1846 – Assembly Rooms, Moneymore, Co. Derry

Architect: William J. Booth Constructed as the Parochial Sunday School by Booth for the Draper’s Company estates. The war memorial is attached to the side wall of the building, and contains the names...

31 January 2014

1846 – Castle Buildings, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Corner of Castle Place and Donegall Place – a three storey stucco building with round headed windows. Also known as Gibsons Corner, it was the first commercial development on Donegall Place which had...

29 September 2009

1846 – Dartrey, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Burn Also known as Dawson Grove, Dartrey was built in 1846 and designed by William Burn as a large Elizabethan Revivial mansion to replace an earlier house on the site. Built...

06 January 2012

1847 – Design for County Court House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Unbuilt design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. With its curved screen walls, it is extremely reminiscent of the former Parliament Building in Dublin. As it was the...

01 October 2014

1847 – Model House, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Architect: Frederick Darley Erected as an Agricultural Training School with suitable offices and a 48 acre farm attached. Intended as a training school where eight pupils boarded and were taught both the theory...

29 September 2009

1847 – Widow’s Almshouses, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

A fine stone Georgian terrace of four houses with brick surrounds to the windows and doors. Constructed as almshouses for “destitute widows” by Joseph Griffiths.

03 November 2012

1848 – Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Belfast

Architect: John Godwin The Ulster Railway opened Belfast’s first railway terminus in 1839, and as such was called just “Belfast” until 1852. By 1852 the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway was completed, making...

27 February 2012

1848 – Market House, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Walker The development of Ballybay town during the 18th century coincided with the purchase of the Ballybay Estate by Henry Leslie in 1712. Whilst the Leslie’s were largely absentee landlords, the...

29 September 2009

1848 – St Macartan’s College, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Thomas Duff St Macartan’s College designed by Thomas Duff is a large building of 17 bays in a restrained classical style and was built as the Diocesan college for Clogher. The centre...