Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

24 September 2009

1849 – Lanyon Building, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Sir Charles Lanyon designed the main building of Queen’s University of Belfast in 1849 which now bears his name. The building is famous for its long Gothic Revival facade...

29 March 2012

1849 – Royal Triumphal Archway, High St., Belfast

Architect: Thirty-two foot tall triumphal archway constructed for the visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to Belfast in 1849. Supposedly the words Cead Mile Failte were inscribed on the reverse side to...

01 April 2014

1849 – St. John’s Church of Ireland, Ballinderry, Co. Derry

Architect: Joseph Welland Fine yet simple Church of Ireland by Joseph Welland.

09 January 2012

1850 – County Court House, Crumlin Rd, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Final design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. The building was largely completed as illustrated but since extended by Young and Mackenzie in 1905. This wasn’t the original...

03 December 2014

1850 – Craigdarragh House, Helen’s Bay, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Constructed around 1850 for Robert Francis Gordon, to a design by Charles Lanyon, but unfortunately the client ran into financial difficulty during construction and never occupied the house. A succession...

29 September 2009

1850 – Former Garda Station, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: E.T. Owen / Board of Public Works Like many buildings around the country from the time of the British administration, the former Police Station in Monaghan has an urban legend connected. The...

01 October 2014

1850 – Model Schools, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Architect: Frederick Darley The Model Schools were erected between 1848 and 1850, the costs of which was funded by Sir John Young, later Lord Lisgar. Divided into separate boys and girls schools with...

30 November 2009

1850 – New Stables, Dartrey, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Burn The Dartrey New Stables are a purpose built stable block with enclosed cobble yard from the early nineteenth century to designs of William Burn who designed the now demolished Dartrey...

25 May 2011

1851 – MacNeill’s Egyptian Arch, Newry, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir John MacNeill Construction was completed in 1851 for the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway Company and was the result of collaboration between engineer Sir John MacNeill and constructor William Dargan. Locally...