Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

28 September 2009

1859 – Former Methodist Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Hague Former church with truncated spire over the doorway. A simple exercise in Gothic revival.

12 July 2012

1859 – Town Hall, Coleraine, Co. Derry

Architect: Thomas Turner Designed by Thomas Turner, the Town Hall was built in 1859 by McLaughlin & Harvey for the then large sum of £4,147, with The Honourable the Irish Society contributing £2,500....

28 November 2010

1860 – Aughentaine Castle, Fivemiletown, Co. Tyrone

Aughentaine Castle consisted of a two-storey main block and a lower two-storey wing, with two tall Italianate campaniles of equal height, one at each end. There was an open porch; two-light and three-light...

24 September 2009

1860 – Donegall Street Congregational Church, Belfast

Architect: William Raffles Brown The original church on this site was completed in 1860, with additions in 1871 on either side by Luke Macassey. There were extensive renovations in 1898 before it was...

30 September 2009

1860 – Former Great Northern Railway Station, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Sir John MacNeill The Railway Station possibly designed by Sir John MacNeill on a more modest scale than his masterwork at Portadown with some later adaptations by William G. Murray. A long...

09 July 2013

1860 – Former Ulster Bank Headquarters, Waring St., Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton Constructed as the headquarters of the Ulster Bank, and now a luxury hotel. Hamilton won the commission after an architectural competition in 1857 that attracted over 50 competitors from across...

18 February 2012

1860 – Lisalea House, Newbliss, Co. Monaghan

A good example of a middle-sized L-plan house, with flat-roofed porch to front, and three-bay south elevation.

30 September 2009

1860 – Model School, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James H. Owen / Board of Public Works Austere Model School built by the Board of Public Works in 1860. Still in use today, the school had two separate entrances for boys...

17 September 2009

1860 – St. Feithlim’s, Kilmore Cathedral, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Slater Work on the present cathedral began in 1858, and it was designed by the English architect William Slater. The porch was added to the Cathedral in 1869, from William Slater’s...