Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

28 November 2012

1865 – Trinity Church and School, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Church for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, presumed by Welland & Gillespie, and consecrated in 1861. Exterior is brown basalt with sandstone trimming. The adjoining school is now demolished.

06 July 2015

1866 – Arnott’s Warehouse, Bridge St., Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Destroyed during the 1941 Belfast Blitz along with its later extension of 1899 on the corner with High Street. Arnott & Co. rebuilt their department store after the...

22 April 2014

1866 – Church of Ireland, Jonesborough, Co. Armagh

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn, & Lanyon Constructed to replace a church originally built in 1732 and re-built in 1772. The Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon building opened for worship in September 1866. Due to the...

29 May 2015

1866 – Ferryquay Gate, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Robert Collins The site of one of the four original gateways; it overlooked the ferryquay on the River Foyle. This was the gate closed by the Apprentice Boys of Derry in December...

06 July 2015

1866 – House, Glenties, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey Never constructed on the site intended for it, opposite the old church of St. Conall on which Hevey also worked. “Our illustration with this No., is of a house to...

23 March 2015

1866 – Temple of Liberty, Toomebridge, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Carey Designed and constructed by local Presbyterian minister John Carey. After being accused of plotting a murder, and disappearing for seven years, only to return newly monied, he settled in Toomebridge....

24 September 2009

1867 – Ewart’s Warehouse, Bedford Street, Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton A fine but now sadly derelict warehouse built in a Glasgow Ventian style by a Glasgow architect. The building has a corner entrance with a circular hall marked by a...

25 September 2009

1867 – Methodist Church, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: William Barre A fine Palladian facade with projecting Corinthian portico, this Methodist church also has a fine interior. From the exterior can be seen two sweeping staircases to the horse-shoe shaped gallery...

29 September 2009

1867 – St. Joseph’s Church, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan

Architect: J.J. Mc Carthy An excellent example of the Gothic revival by J.J. McCarthy, known as the “Irish Pugin”, and who designed many churches across Ireland. Of particular significance in the church are...


Skip to toolbar