Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

19 March 2012

1703 – Gola House, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Unusual house, similar to another in the county at Anketell. An unpopular family, the owners of Gola had been planted by King William in the 1660s. During the troubles of 1922, the...

02 June 2014

1710s – Knox-Hannyngton House, Dungannon, Co Tyrone

The site contained a castle from the early 15th century, which was the headquarters of the O’Neills until the Flight of the Earls in 1607. The land was seized and granted to Sit...

25 September 2009

1724 – Vicar’s Hill, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Built by Archbishop Boulter in 1724 as accomodation for clegy widows, this intact terrace facing the west front of the Church of Ireland Cathedral has fine Gibbsian door surrounds.

17 October 2010

1730 – Bellamont Forest, Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Architect: Sir Edward Lovett Pearce Built between 1725 and 1730 for Thomas Coote, once Lord Justice of Ireland, and designed by Coote’s gifted nephew, architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. Bellamont Forest is one...

15 October 2010

1730 – Castle Dobbs, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Castle Dobbs was built in 1730 by Arthur Dobbs, Surveyor-General of Ireland; and Governor of North Carolina. As Surveyor-General, Arthur Dobbs supervised the construction of the Irish Parliament House in Dublin. While a...

30 January 2014

1730 – Tollymore Park, Bryansford, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Wright / Charles Lanyon / James Rawson Carroll Much extended country house, around four sides of a courtyard, designed and added to by a number of architects. The original house was...

28 September 2009

1733 – Ballyhaise Agriculture College, Co. Cavan

Architect: Richard Cassels Ballyhaise House was built for the Newburghs, a local landowning family, in the 1730s. Richard Cassels (1690-1751) was of German origin and also known as Richard Castle. He settled in...

14 September 2012

1736 – Gill Hall, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Richard Cassels The Gill Hall estate was named after a Captain Magill an officer in Cromwell’s Army, prior to the 1641 rebellion he is said to have obtained half the townland of...

21 April 2014

1737 – Royal & Prior School, Raphoe, Co. Donegal

In 1608, King Charles I granted a charter which founded the Royal Schools across Ulster. By 1618, As part of this charter, a Royal School was established in Donegal town, which relocated to...


Skip to toolbar