Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

25 September 2009

1867 – Methodist Church, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: William Barre A fine Palladian facade with projecting Corinthian portico, this Methodist church also has a fine interior. From the exterior can be seen two sweeping staircases to the horse-shoe shaped gallery...

29 September 2009

1867 – St. Joseph’s Church, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan

Architect: J.J. Mc Carthy An excellent example of the Gothic revival by J.J. McCarthy, known as the “Irish Pugin”, and who designed many churches across Ireland. Of particular significance in the church are...

28 September 2009

1867 – Tourist Information Office, Armagh

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Formerly a branch of the Belfast Banking Company and thereafter the Northern Bank, the Tourist Information Office was designed by Sir Charles Lanyon in 1867. A deceptively large building,...

01 March 2014

1868 – St Matthias Church of Ireland, Loup, Co. Derry

Architect: Welland & Gillespie The ecclesiastical district of Ballyeglish began in 1866, on land donated by the Salters Company. The building was constructed from white limestone from the nearby Drapers Company estate, relieved...

30 September 2009

1868 – Bessmount, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Barre Originally a relatively conventional Georgian residence, Bessmount was redesigned by William Barre (architect of the Dawson Monument in the centre of nearby Monaghan town) for William Henderson around 1869. The...

04 March 2014

1868 – Imperial Hotel, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles A. Sherry Constructed for William Jury, proprietor of Jury’s and Shelbourne hotels, Dublin, and Imperial Hotel, Cork. “Just completed by Mr W.B. McMaster, from plans by, and under the direction of,...

09 December 2011

1868 – Methodist College, Belfast

Architect: William Fogerty Selected design from an architectural competition to design a school for the advancement of Methodism. Originally it provided for a new school for 200 pupils with additional collegiate department providing...

09 January 2012

1868 – Old Library, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Illustration showing the interior of the Old Library as originally designed by W.H. Lynn. The building was described by the English poet Philip Larkin (who was sub-librarian at...

08 May 2013

1868 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Crumlin Rd., Belfast

Architect: Slater & Carpenter St Mary’s Church of Ireland was completed in 1868 to a design by the London architect William Slater. Estimated cost £2,400 but eventual cost £6,500. The church was badly...

Skip to toolbar