Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

01 March 2012

1871 – City Portrait Room, Carlisle Rd., Derry

Architect: William McElwee Building for Hugh Kerr, photographer – finished in polychrome brick with Dungiven sandstone dressings

12 May 2014

1871 – Nos. 24 & 26 Donegall Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons “In no locality within the northern capital are architectural improvements more markedly observable than in Donegall Place. To this already fine business premises in this grand throughfare there...

30 September 2009

1871 – St. Davnet’s Hospital, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John McCurdy Large complex of buildings built between 1869-71. The main block is said to be over sixty bays long, the building is built of rubblestone and brick detailing. The complex has...

01 December 2011

1871 – St. Patrick’s Church, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Originally published in the journal The Builder, 4 March 1871. Illustration of building as planned by McCarthy.

09 January 2012

1872 – Elmwood Hall, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: John Corry Designed by amateur architect John Corry, Elmwood Hall, a former Presbyterian Church, is the concert hall for Queen’s University. Originally designed in 1859, it was not completed until the construction...

10 January 2014

1872 – McGarel Buildings, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Patrick Close Ten Victorian Gothic almshouses, for Charles McGarel. McGarel was a slave-owner and sugar trader in the early 19th century. He was also responsible for building the Town Hall in...

06 March 2011

1872 – Ulster Bank, Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Thomas Jackson Substantial and solid bank building by Thomas Jackson of Belfast.

03 February 2014

1873 – Belgravia Hotel, Nos 2-12 Ulsterville Ave., Belfast

Architect: John Boyd The Belgravia Hotel was a collection of Victorian Villas on Ulsterville Ave, with fine polychromic brickwork, decorative ironwork and dormers. The terrace was designed by John Boyd in 1873. In...

01 March 2012

1873 – St. Colmans Church, Dromore, Co. Down

Architect: Timothy Hevey Designed by architect Timothy Hevey of Belfast in an early English Gothic. Built in black stone, with freestone dressings, the walls are supported with courses and buttresses. The church consists...