Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

25 January 2014

1874 – J. Robb & Co Department Store, Castle St., Belfast

Architect: William Hastings John Robb & Co was a Belfast department store that had extended many times in the late 19th century. Originally it was at No 15 in 1861, expanding to No...

31 July 2014

1874 – Villas, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson Terrace of four villas constructed in Rostrevor, and published in The Irish Builder, May 15 1874. Watson was a Newry-based architect who had a thriving practice in this part...

21 March 2014

1874 – Warehouses, Nos.1-3 Donegall Square South, Belfast

Architect: John Lanyon Large warehouse of red sandstone on the corner of Adelaide Street and Donegall Square for Preston Smyth & Co., and John Preston & Co. Demolished to make way for a...

02 March 2014

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey The Hibernian Bank aggressively pursued the business of the new Catholic middle classes, and in doing so, used an architectural idiom similar to that being used in the new churches...

30 September 2009

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Formerly the Hibernian Bank – the Bank of Ireland is a good example of the bank’s campaign to attract catholic wealth in the late 19th century. This was done...

29 September 2009

1875 – Lodge, Castle Leslie, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Charles Lanyon At the entrance to the Leslie Demense from the village, this substantial stone building has been used as a hotel, and is now part of the family’s equestrian centre. Presumably...

09 July 2012

1875 – Railway Station, Bellarena, Co. Derry

Architect: John Lanyon Bellarena railway station opened on 18 July 1853. It was closed for goods traffic from 4 January 1965. The station was closed on 18 October 1976, but re-opened again on...

25 September 2009

1875 – St Michael’s Roman Catholic Church, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Largely built between 1870-75 to just above the belfry – the spire was added more recently. The interior is large and gloomy with some interesting pieces including: a William...

14 May 2014

1875 – St. Mary’s Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Alexander Macalister The design was chosen as a result of an architectural competition. St Mary’s Catholic Hall was used for concerts and dances, and also included a primary school until 1901. It...