Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

14 January 2015

1740 – Mount Panther, Clough, Co. Down

Originally built about 1740, the central block has a Diocletian window in the top floor, a Palladian window on the first floor, and a tripartite doorcase below. In 1770 it was described in...

17 April 2015

1746 – Port Hall, Lifford, Co. Donegal

Architect: Michael Priestly Built in 1746 for John Vaughan of Buncrana Castle, to designs believed to be by Michael Priestly who also built Lifford Courthouse. Door surmounted by the arms of George II.

07 April 2011

1756 – Glenarm Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: Christopher Myers / William Vitruvius Morrison There has been a castle at Glenarm since the 13th century, and it is at the heart of one of Northern Ireland’s oldest estates. The present...

29 September 2009

1760 – Aviemore House, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Aviemore House is the most imposing residence in Monaghan both from its imposing facade to its positioning on Hill Street. The building is placed on the end of the climb of Mill...

29 September 2009

1763 – Church of Ireland, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Joseph Welland Simple Church of Ireland by the Board of First Fruits with a tall slender tower and long nave. The tower is all that remains of the 1670 church erected by...

25 September 2009

1764 – Florence Court, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Florence Court is romantically named after the wife of Sir John Cole who first built a house on the spectacular site in the early 18th century. The present Palladian style house was probably...

24 September 2009

1765 – Broughshane Church of Ireland, Co. Antrim

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Pretty little Church with decorative gateway to the street. Broughshane is known as the Garden Village of Ulster. In 1994 the village was the winner of Ulster in Bloom,...

13 December 2012

1765c – Stuart Hall, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Stuart Hall was built in the 1760s for Baron Stuart, later Viscount Castle Stuart. It was originally a three-storey Georgian house, joined to an old tower-house by a 19th century Gothic wing. More...

15 March 2012

1769 – Exchange and Assembly Rooms, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Sir Robert Taylor In 1769, the Earl of Donegall, celebrating the birth of his son George Augustus, paid £4,000 for the building of a single storey building called “The Exchange” By1776 a...

Skip to toolbar