Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

01 March 2014

1890 – 39 Hill Street, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: John Brown Now known as Bank Buildings, but in 1898 was a commercial premises for Lee & Son, pianoforte warehouse.

07 October 2014

1890 – Bayview Terrace, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

Fine rendered Victorian terrace. At the time of construction, Bundoran was a popular ‘genteel’ seaside resort. It was connected to the Great Northern Railway in 1876. The GNR rebuilt the station, and constructed...

29 June 2010

1890 – Cottages, Caledon, Co. Tyrone

Picturesque terrace of estate cottages now sadly derelict.

21 March 2014

1890 – Danske Bank, Marcus Square, Newry

Architect: William J. Watson Originally constructed as a branch of the Belfast Banking Co., which existed until its 1970 merger to form the Northern Bank, now Danske bank. Watson’s design is a three...

28 September 2009

1890s – Former Bank, Russell St., Armagh, Co Armagh

Former Hibernian Bank building typical of many built in Irish towns in the 19th century with a ground floor banking hall with accommodation for the branch manager and his family above. Austere plain...

09 August 2013

1890s – Northern Counties Hotel, Portrush, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon / Berkeley Deane Wise The Belfast and Northern Counties Railway purchased a share in the lease of the well-established Antrim Arms hotel in the 1870s. By 1883 it had formed...

29 September 2009

1891 – Church of St. Peter, Laragh, Co. Monaghan

Laragh near Broomfield, in County Monaghan is a former mill village of which little remains. In the 19th century there was a lot of activity in the flax industry in the area. Sited...

16 April 2014

1891 – Railway Station, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

The railway opened in 1886 for the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway and taken over by the Great Northern Railway in 1876. This station was erected in 1891 to replace an old wooden structure....

16 April 2014

1891 – Railway Station, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills Closed in February 1965, it was opened by the Londonderry and Enniskillen Railway in May 1852. It was taken over by the Great Northern Railway in 1883. The GNR...