Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

17 September 2009

1885 – Thompson Memorial Home for Incurables, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson This fine building was erected in 1885 as “Thompson House for the Incurables”, named after a local surgeon (William Thompson MD) who had tragically died three years earlier. Endowments...

16 September 2015

1885 – Wesleyan Church, Warrenpoint, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson Also known as the “Coke Memorial Church” after the Methodist preacher Thomas Coke, construction started in August 1884 with the church opening in 1885. It was built on the...

06 December 2012

1886 – Ceremonial Royal Archways, Belfast, Co. Antrim

A selection of archways erected in Belfast for the 1886 visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales.

05 March 2014

1886 – Downshire Schools, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Funded by the Marquess of Downshire. No longer in use as a school, converted into apartments. Published in The Irish Builder, November 15 1886.

14 February 2014

1886 – Former Post Office, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: James H. Owen Belfast’s General Post Office that stood on Royal Avenue, by James Owen of the Board of Works. It was built from Dungannon stone with a machicolated cornice and Romanesque...

15 September 2015

1886 – No. 68-70 Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: William J. Fennell “With this issue we publish a perspective of the new premises in Royal-avenue, Belfast, for Mr. George Tate, rent-agent. The building will have a frontage of 27ft., and rise...

15 October 2012

1887 – Ballymena Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn The original castle of Ballymena was built in the early 17th century, but was burned out in 1720. In 1865 Lord Waveney started building Ballymena Castle, as a magnificent family...

02 March 2014

1887 – Ballynafeigh Orange Hall, Ormeau Rd., Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Batt William Batt had designed several other Orange Halls including the Orange Hall in Clifton Street, were he was a member of Eldon L.O.L. No 7. Watt and the hall committee...

24 September 2009

1887 – Derry Guildhall

Architect: J.C. Ferguson / M.A. Robinson The Guildhall was originally built in 1887 by The Honourable The Irish Society at a cost of £19,000.00 and was officially opened in July 1890. Originally designed...

Skip to toolbar