Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

05 March 2014

1886 – Downshire Schools, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Funded by the Marquess of Downshire. No longer in use as a school, converted into apartments. Published in The Irish Builder, November 15 1886.

14 February 2014

1886 – Former Post Office, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: James H. Owen Belfast’s General Post Office that stood on Royal Avenue, by James Owen of the Board of Works. It was built from Dungannon stone with a machicolated cornice and Romanesque...

15 September 2015

1886 – No. 68-70 Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: William J. Fennell “With this issue we publish a perspective of the new premises in Royal-avenue, Belfast, for Mr. George Tate, rent-agent. The building will have a frontage of 27ft., and rise...

15 October 2012

1887 – Ballymena Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn The original castle of Ballymena was built in the early 17th century, but was burned out in 1720. In 1865 Lord Waveney started building Ballymena Castle, as a magnificent family...

02 March 2014

1887 – Ballynafeigh Orange Hall, Ormeau Rd., Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Batt William Batt had designed several other Orange Halls including the Orange Hall in Clifton Street, were he was a member of Eldon L.O.L. No 7. Watt and the hall committee...

24 September 2009

1887 – Derry Guildhall

Architect: J.C. Ferguson / M.A. Robinson The Guildhall was originally built in 1887 by The Honourable The Irish Society at a cost of £19,000.00 and was officially opened in July 1890. Originally designed...

03 May 2010

1887 – McArthur Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Built as boarding hall for Methodist College, Belfast. Published in The Building News, October 7th 1887. Ceased to be used as boarding facilities in 2010 and converted to...

16 April 2010

1887 – Northern Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon No longer a bank, this fine building was constructed in Dungannon Sandstone with polished granite details including columns. As well as the usual accommodation for the bank branch manager, the...

12 June 2014

1887 – Presbyterian Church, Windsor, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A fine Victorian Gothic church on a elevated site, that is still in use today by its congregation. A later school was erected in the 1880s and connected to...