Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

09 April 2014

1887 – Railway Station, Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone

Aughnacloy was the head office of the Clogher Valley Railway and is the most substantial building on the line. The Clogher Valley was a 37 mile long, narrow gauge railway, opened in January...

21 June 2010

1887 – St Columb’s Hall, Richmond Street, Derry

Architect: Crome & Toye Front Perspective View, ground & 1st.floor plans as published in The Building News, July 1st 1887. The architects Crome and Toye used a mixture of Italianate and Gothic styles...

02 October 2014

1887 – Trinity Presbyterian Church, Bailieborough, Co. Cavan

Built to replace an older Church which had been erected about 1770. This older Church was known as 2nd Bailieborough and is now demolished with just the graveyard remaining. The new church was...

24 September 2009

1888 – Belfast Central Library

Architect: W.H. Lynn Designed by W.H. Lynn after an architectural competition held in 1882, the building was completed in 1888. A monumental red sandstone building, the Library has a fine central domed reading...

25 September 2009

1888 – McArthur Hall, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Thomas Elliot Designed by Thomas Elliot who also refitted the Methodist Church (adjoining but up the slope of the hill), this is a fine little neo-Tudor hall. McArthur was an Enniskillen man...

09 January 2015

1889 – Second Presbyterian Church, Ballywalter, Co. Down

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Ballywalter is one of the oldest Presbyterian Congregations in Ireland, beginning with the Rev James Hamilton in 1626. Opened in 1889. “This church which occupies a prominent site in...

17 March 2014

1889 – Temperance Institute, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie Alcohol abuse was a big problem in Lisburn at the end of the 19th century. In response some local people formed the Total Abstinence Society in 1886, and the...

01 March 2014

1890 – 39 Hill Street, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: John Brown Now known as Bank Buildings, but in 1898 was a commercial premises for Lee & Son, pianoforte warehouse.

07 October 2014

1890 – Bayview Terrace, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

Fine rendered Victorian terrace. At the time of construction, Bundoran was a popular ‘genteel’ seaside resort. It was connected to the Great Northern Railway in 1876. The GNR rebuilt the station, and constructed...