Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

29 October 2012

1896 – Gallaher Tobacco Factory, York Street, Belfast

Architect: Samuel Stevenson Architects Gallaher Tobacco Company, now part of Japan Tobacco, was originally founded in Derry in 1857 by Tom Gallaher. By 1896, he had opened the largest tobacco factory in the...

09 July 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Carnalea, Co. Down

Architect: George P. Culverwell First opened by the B.C.D.R. (Belfast & County Down Railway) in 1877 with only an up platform, and a brake van as an office. The company built a station...

04 April 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Trooperslane, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Constructed in 1896 to replace an earlier 1840s building, Wise’s design for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway was a highly picturesque station in brick and timber. Demolished in...

24 September 2009

1896 – St. George’s Market, Belfast

Architect: J.C. Bretland Recently restored, the markets contain a working fish market and a bric-a-brac market of stalls and traders. Both markets were designed by J.C. Bretland and completed in 1896. In comparison...

17 July 2013

1897 – Former National Bank, 62-68 High Street, Belfast

Architect: William Batt The National Bank Ltd, a bank founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1835 had branches in Ireland and Britain. The Irish branches were acquired by Bank of Ireland in 1965 and...

17 July 2011

1897 – Hogg and Mitchell Shirt Factory, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: William Barker

25 September 2009

1897 – Presbyterian Church, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Simple little Presbyterian church with an unusual entrance porch almost the full width of the building.

06 January 2015

1897 – Railway Station, Cultra, Co. Down

Cultra is part of the greater Belfast area and originally a stop on the Belfast, Hollywood and Bangor Railway. The BH&BR crossed the land of some wealthy landowners, whose terms included that Cultra...

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: William H. Mills Rebuilt by Chief Engineer of the GNR William Hemingway Mills in 1897 to replace the earlier Ulster Railway building of 1839. Designed in his trademark polychromic brickwork, now emblematic...