Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

25 February 2014

1893 – Thistlebank House, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Thomas Elliot Constructed as a butter and egg depot for the Scottish Co-Operative Wholesale Society – known as the Scotch Store. Fine stonework with ornate curvilinear gables. Now offices.

21 July 2015

1894 – Arkeen House, Newcastle, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt “THIS house which a short time back purchased by Mr. George G. Sloane and stands forward from the front of Bellvue Hotel, occupying a very position facing the sea, and...

21 April 2014

1894 – Great Northern Hotel, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The opening of the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway (E&BR) in 1868 connected Bundoran with Ireland’s growing railway network and made the town more accessible from Belfast, and Dublin. The...

21 March 2013

1894 – Town Hall, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Sited on a bridge over the river, and thus straddling the two counties that Newry connects. It took two architectural competitions to decide on a design for the new town...

22 July 2015

1894 – Villas, Donaghdee, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt “THE plans of these villas were prepared for a gentleman residing in Belfast, who for many years has been an annual visitor to this watering place. They were to have...

24 September 2009

1895 – Grand Opera House, Belfast

Architect: Frank Matcham Built between 1894-5 and damaged by bombs during the troubles and then restored, the Grand Opera House is a Belfast landmark with its ebullient and eclectic exterior. The exterior features...

09 July 2014

1895 – Railway Station, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Mock Tudor station, constructed to replace the station of 1862 that was destroyed by fire, for Belfast & Northern Counties Railway Co. Still in use today by Northern Ireland...

03 March 2015

1895 – Whitla Street Fire Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: J.C. Bretland Demolished in the early 1970s for a modern replacement, after the area was cleared for a motorway. Josiah Corbett Bretland was Borough surveyor of Belfast between 1884-1903. As city surveyor...

13 June 2014

1896 – All Souls Church, Elmwood Avenue, Belfast

Architect: George W. Planck Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 –...