Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

28 September 2009

1771 – Public Library, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley Fabulous Library building on an awkward sloping corner site by Thomas Cooley, the architect of Dublin’s City Hall which was started just two years earlier. Like City Hall, the library...

16 September 2012

1773 – Castle Archdale, Co. Fermanagh

The house was built by Colonel Mervyn Archdale in 1773 on the shores of Lower Lough Erne, to replace a Plantation castle of 1615. It had three storeys over a basement; a six...

15 March 2012

1774 – Clifton House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Mylne / Robert Joy Built in 1774 by Belfast Charitable Society, the building was used until the late 1880’s as Belfast’s Poor House. Although the Dublin architect Thomas Cooley was consulted...

28 September 2009

1774 – Former Hospital, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: George Ensor Built as the city hospital in 1774, and now an outreach campus for Queens University Belfast. Deceptively small, the ground falls away behind the main fa├žade to allow for more...

25 September 2009

1776 – Derrymore House, Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Architect: John Sutherland A late 18th century thatched house in a gentrified style, Derrymore House is owned by the National Trust and open to the public. John Sutherland was responsible for laying out...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833) as “This church is situated in Donegal-street. It is the parish church, and was erected in the year 1778. It...

15 July 2012

1776c – Downhill House, Co. Derry

Architect: Michael Shanahan Frederick Hervey commissioned work at Downhill Demesne near the village of Castlerock in the early 1770s, after he was made the Bishop of Derry in 1768. Built by the architect...

24 March 2015

1779 – First Presbyterian Church, Dunmurry, Co. Antrim

Architect: Roger Mulholland The Dunmurry congregation was established in 1676 and a meetinghouse was built on this site of which no traces remain. In 1714 a second church was built, part of which...

28 September 2009

1780 – Former Jail, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley / William Murray The old jail building is sited at the opposite end of the Mall from the Courthouse. This must have made for a depressing last journey from sentencing,...