Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

23 January 2015

1900 – The Fountain, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Memorial fountain to Queen Victoria, manufactured by a Glaswegian firm, Walter McFarland & Co., in the hundreds for locations throughout the British Empire. Demolished in a traffic accident and never repaired. A similar...

15 June 2014

1900 – Unbuilt Design for Assembly Hall, Belfast

Architect: Rupert Savage “This design was awarded the first premium by the assessor, Sir Thos. Drew, R.H.A. ; but the committee declined to accept any of the designs submitted in this competition, and...

15 June 2014

1900 – Unbuilt Design for Assembly Rooms, Belfast

Architect: William Carruthers Laidlaw Third premiated design for competition, held in 1900, adjudicated by Sir Thomas Drew for new Presbyterian Assembley Rooms. He judged the costing conditions to be unreasonable and unachievable. William...

15 March 2012

1901 – St. Silas Church, Cliftonville Road, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Roe Opened in 1901, and completing destroyed during the air raids on Belfast in 1941. According to the Irish Builder of December 1 1900, only the nave and chancel were to...

25 September 2009

1901 – Townhall, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Anthony & William Scott Designed by Anthony Scott with his son William as a competition entry in 1897, the Townhall was not completed until four years later, and cost twice its original...

04 March 2015

1902 – Railway Station, Antrim, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Designed by Berkeley Deane Wise for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway, and constructed 1901-02. The main station building resembled a double-fronted mock-tudor house, but masked extensive platforms and...

16 September 2013

1902 – Scottish Provident, Donegall Sq., Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A large office building constructed in stages from 1899-1902, the Scottish Provident Institution is constructed of Glasgow blonde sandstone. The main entrance on the corner of Wellington Place is...

13 August 2013

1902 – The Tubular & Suspension Bridges, The Gobbins, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Designed by railway architect Berkeley Deane Wise as a tourist attraction for his employers the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Company. This scenic path included staircases along the cliffs,...

21 March 2014

1903 – First Trust Bank, Hill Street, Newry

Architect: Carroll & Batchelor Now a branch of First Trust, a subsidiary of AIB, but constructed for the Provincial Bank of Ireland, costing £3,912.