Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

24 September 2009

1903 – Fiddes Todd & Curry Warehouse, Belfast

Architect: Henry Hobart Built as a linen warehouse for Fiddes Todd & Curry at Nos. 51-59 Adelaide Street. Five Storey red brick warehouse with dramatic roofline of pedimented dormers and corner chimney stacks,...

17 September 2009

1903 – Ocean & Accident & Gaurantee Corporation, Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie One of the great commercial buildings on Donegall Square and built between 1899-1902 in a Gothic Revival style. The building in red sandstone has a tall pinnacled corner tower...

07 October 2012

1903 – Presbyterian Church, Convoy, Co. Donegal

Architect: John McIntyre Built to replace a church of the 1780s, McIntyre ‘took the design from Vincent Craig’s First Presbyterian Church at Omagh’.

13 June 2014

1903 – Royal Archway, Wellington Place, Belfast

A triumphal arch at Wellington Place, Belfast, erected by the Linen Industry in honour of a visit by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

17 September 2009

1903 – Royal Victoria Infirmary, Belfast

Architect: Henman & Cooper Drawings published in The Building News in 1901. Buildings completed by 1903. The range consisted of 17 wards off a connecting corridor – all the wards were named after...

21 November 2014

1903 – The Smiley Cottage Hospital, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Nicholas Fitzsimons Constructed on a site provided by Sir Hugh .H. Smiley, who also paid for the construction of the building. He may have regretted this as the estimated cost was £5,000...

28 September 2009

1904 – Post Office, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: Robert Cochrane An attractive and eclective small post office building from the early twenthieth century when many similar buildings were built across the country. This particular one has a most impressive doorway.

12 March 2015

1904 – Railway Station, Ballymena, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Unusual station layout with main building lower than the line and platforms. Demolished in 1979 and replaced. Photograph of station prior to demolition copyright TheTurfBurner

24 September 2009

1904 – Scottish Mutual Building, Belfast

Architect: Henry Seaver Built as the Scottish Temperance Building in 1904, this is an imposing if eclectic building in a vaguely baronial style.