Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

03 April 2013

1899 – Victoria Home, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson Built in the mid-1890s for the Girls Friendly Society of Ireland, who asked for and received Royal permission to call it the Queen Victoria Home in 1901. Originally known...

28 September 2009

18th C – Bank of Ireland, Upper English St., Armagh, Co. Armagh

A recently refurbished house typical of many built in this area of the city centre by successive Archbishops improving the city. Originally a townhouse, and later a hotel, this has been converted to...

03 July 2015

18th C – Grace Hall, Dollingstown, Co. Armagh

Late 18th or early 19th century attractive house with large curved bays on the main facade. During the Second World War this building was used as Billets by 183 Company of the Royal...

03 July 2015

18th C. – Drumboe Castle, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Large Georgian house with a polygonal central bay and curved bows to the ends of the wings.Now a ruin, after being used as the General Headquarters for the Irish Free State forces in...

28 September 2009

18th C. – Market Square Houses, Armagh, Co. Armagh

A restored terrace of houses overlooking the Market Square dating from the 18th century.

24 September 2009

1900 – Bank Buildings, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: W.H. Lynn A large cast iron structure clad in red Dumfries stone, this is one of the most impressive of the Belfast commercial buildings of the turn of the century. Designed by...

30 September 2009

1900 – Churches, St. Davnet’s Hospital, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Hague & McNamara In the grounds of St. Davnet’s Hospital are two small churches, one for the Catholic faith and the other Church of Ireland. Designed by Hague & McNamara, the practice...

30 September 2009

1900 – First Presbyterian Church, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Roome & Boag Incomplete, this church in Old Cross Square was intended to have a tall slender spire. It is a pity that this never occurred as it would have improved the...

30 September 2009

1900 – Former Provincial Bank, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

Architect: John Clarke Fine stone and brick Georgian house of around 1830 with later banking hall adjoining added around 1900. Now unused as a bank, the banking hall has a toplit central space...