Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

30 November 2011

1781 – Baronscourt, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Soane, Richard Morrison, William Vitruvius Morrison Originally built as a 5-bay, 3-storey house for James Hamilton, 8th Earl of Abercorn in 1781 by George Steuart. Remodelled a couple of years later...

20 February 2009

1783 – Robert Adam’s designs for Castle Upton, Co. Antrim

Architect: Robert Adam Designs by Scottish neo-classical architect Robert Adam for a redevelopment of Castle Upton. Adam raised and machiolated the pair of round towers from the original castle and gave them high,...

12 February 2015

1785 – Castleton House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Also known as Jennymount, the residence of the Thomson family, prominent local merchants and bankers. Demolished to make way for the Mountcollyer and Crosscollyer streets in the 1890s.

12 October 2012

1785 – Mussenden Temple, Co. Derry

Built in 1785 and forms part of the estate of Frederick Augustus Hervey, the 4th Earl of Bristol, Bishop of Derry. Built as a library and modelled from the Temple of Vesta in...

25 September 2009

1785 – Temple of the Winds, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: James Stuart The Temple of the Winds, James “╦ťAthenian’ Stuart’s banqueting hall of 1785, overlooks Strangford Lough. It had small viewing balconies, instead of porticos, to take advantage of views. The interior...

06 January 2012

1785 – White Linen Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Roger Mulholland Large building with enclosed square for the selling of what was then Belfast’s most important product. Three relatively unadorned facades, with a central tower dominating the primary frontage. Demolished in...

29 June 2010

1786 – Campbell House, Plumbridge, Co. Tyrone

Aghalane House or more commonly known at the Campbell House was built by by Hugh Campbell in 1786 near Plumbridge, County Tyrone. Above the doorway he placed two stone plaques, one bearing his...

15 October 2012

1787 – Ballyscullion House, Co. Derry

Architect: Michael Shanahan Ballyscullion House was one of three eccentric palaces built by the equally eccentric Frederick Augustus Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Lord Bishop of Derry. The other two were at...

26 March 2014

1789 – Bishop Gate, City Walls, Derry, Co. Derry

Architect: Henry Aaron Baker The present Bishop Gate was built in 1789 as a triumphal arch to mark the first centenary of the closing of the gates by The Apprentice Boys of Derry....