Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

29 September 2009

17th C – Old Cross, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan

The origins of the Old Cross are unclear. It’s unclear if it were even a cross – sepculation suggests that it may have been a seventeenth century sundial. It has an unusual head...

09 December 2014

1800 – Market House, Kilkeel, Co. Down

Sited at the top of Kilmorey Square, the Market House contained a covered market space at ground level with a municipal space above. The upper floor was used as a courthouse and also...

27 November 2013

1802 – Farnham House, Co. Cavan

Architect: Francis Johnston A large addition around 1802 by Francis Johnston gave the house its current form today. This is the latter day surviving Farnham House, which is now incorporated as the centrepiece...

28 November 2012

1803 – Killymoon Castle, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash Killymoon Castle is one of John Nash’s earliest castles, built ca 1803 for William Stewart MP, incorporating part of the previous house which was burnt ca 1800. Built on a...

15 October 2012

1807 – Kilwaughter Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Nash The present building incorporates a Scottish style plantation house of ca 1622, built by Patrick Agnew. Between 1803-07 the present Georgian castle was built for Edward Jones Agnew by John...

13 November 2012

1807 – Lissan Rectory, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash Picturesque Italianate villa, for Rev. John Molesworth Staples (nephew, by marriage, of James Staples of Killymoon Castle, also designed by Nash. Later additions included the balcony, and the removal of...

28 September 2009

1809 – Courthouse, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Francis Johnston The courthouse by Francis Johnston is a relatively simple affair and should be compared with the larger Courthouse built in nearby Monaghan only twenty years later. Armagh Courthouse is a...

29 September 2009

1809 – Dawson Monument, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

An obelisk-style monument, situated between Cootehill and Rockcorry, this was erected by local electors in honour of the 18th century MP Richard Dawson of nearby Dartrey. He was returned to five successive parliaments.

29 June 2010

1810 – Mellon Homestead, Omagh, Co. Tyrone

The centre piece of the Ulster-American Folk Park is the Mellon Homestead which is still on its original site. A traditional thatched cottage in the Ulster vernacular with a cluster of small outbuildings...