Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Ulster

09 December 2014

1800 – Market House, Kilkeel, Co. Down

Sited at the top of Kilmorey Square, the Market House contained a covered market space at ground level with a municipal space above. The upper floor was used as a courthouse and also...

27 November 2013

1802 – Farnham House, Co. Cavan

Architect: Francis Johnston A large addition around 1802 by Francis Johnston gave the house its current form today. This is the latter day surviving Farnham House, which is now incorporated as the centrepiece...

28 November 2012

1803 – Killymoon Castle, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash Killymoon Castle is one of John Nash’s earliest castles, built ca 1803 for William Stewart MP, incorporating part of the previous house which was burnt ca 1800. Built on a...

25 June 2011

1805 – Lismore Lodge, Crossderry, Co. Cavan

Lismore Lodge is a very attractive early c1800 period house and gate lodge. The main house with six bays and two storey extends to 9,680 sq ft and is bound by a large...

15 October 2012

1807 – Kilwaughter Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Nash The present building incorporates a Scottish style plantation house of ca 1622, built by Patrick Agnew. Between 1803-07 the present Georgian castle was built for Edward Jones Agnew by John...

13 November 2012

1807 – Lissan Rectory, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash Picturesque Italianate villa, for Rev. John Molesworth Staples (nephew, by marriage, of James Staples of Killymoon Castle, also designed by Nash. This is Nash’s only Italianate composition in Ireland. Later...

28 September 2009

1809 – Courthouse, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Francis Johnston The courthouse by Francis Johnston is a relatively simple affair and should be compared with the larger Courthouse built in nearby Monaghan only twenty years later. Armagh Courthouse is a...

29 September 2009

1809 – Dawson Monument, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

An obelisk-style monument, situated between Cootehill and Rockcorry, this was erected by local electors in honour of the 18th century MP Richard Dawson of nearby Dartrey. He was returned to five successive parliaments.

25 June 2015

1810 – Lanesborough Lodge, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Constructed around 1810 for the Cavendish Butler family. Burned out in the early 1920s and now an ivy-clad ruin


Skip to toolbar