Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Tyrone

19 March 2014

1876 – Presbyterian Church, Donemana, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William McElwee Still in use today, this is a fine Presbyterian chirch finished in local limestone on a slightly elevated site above streetlevel. “Donemana, where this church is being built , is...

19 March 2014

1876 – St. Mary’s Church, Broughderg, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William McElwee Closed in the 1980s and replaced by a modern church nearby. Now semi-derelict. “This church us being built in a mountain district of the extensive parish of Lower Badmey, county...

15 May 2013

1877 – Christ Church of Ireland, Strabane, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Kennedy Described as the new St. Comghall’s Church in the architecture press, but named Christ Church. The foundation stone was laid on Tuesday, November 17, 1874, by the Duchess of Abercorn,...

01 April 2014

1880 – Railway Station, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Coalisland railway station closed in the late 1950s and is now largely gone.

08 April 2014

1883 – Railway Station, Sion Mills, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills Another one of William H. Mills’ characteristic polychromatic stations for the GNR – yellow brick relieved with black, brown, and purple courses. Constructed to replace an earlier LER station...

09 October 2009

1884 – Gate House, Sion Mills, Co. Tyrone

Architect: W.F. Unsworth Built to complement the large house built for the Herdman family, it is quite similar in design to one at Stokesay Castle.

06 May 2014

1884 – Railway Station, Strabane, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills The railway line to Strabane from Omagh originally opened in 1847 and was run by the Irish North Western Railway. After the takeover by the Great Northern Railway in...

09 October 2009

1884 – Sion House, Sion Mills, Co. Tyrone

Architect: W.F. Unsworth Constructed by the Herdman family, who constructed the model village and mills of Sion. Now sadly in very poor repair and must be considered at risk of loss. Published in...

17 September 2009

1885 – New Homestead, Clogher Park, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Richard Waite Designed for local landowner T.S. Porter esq., published in The Building News, August 28th 1885. Clogher Park was formerly Clogher Palace, the residence of the Church of Ireland bishops of...