Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

16 September 2015

1880 – Wesleyan School & Chapel, Rathgar, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Holbrook / William Stirling Built over ten years by two architects – the chapel of 1872-74 by Thomas Holbrook; and the manse and school of 1880 by William Stirling. The illustration...

15 September 2015

1886 – No. 68-70 Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: William J. Fennell “With this issue we publish a perspective of the new premises in Royal-avenue, Belfast, for Mr. George Tate, rent-agent. The building will have a frontage of 27ft., and rise...

11 September 2015

1837 – Bishop’s Palace, Kilmore, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Farrell Described in the late 1830s: “The new palace is built in the Grecian Doric style and covered with Roman cement. It appears too lofty, and in other respects is not...

11 September 2015

1904 – Railway Station & Signal Box, Victoria Bridge, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills Unlike many stations on the Great Northern Railway, Victoria Bridge station was of wood and not the polychromic brick used by Mills. That is not to say that there...

11 September 2015

1863 – Railway Station, Omagh, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William G. Murray / William H. Mills Constructed by the Irish North Western Railway in 1862-63, and later extended by the Great Northern Railway which took over the INWR in 1883. The...

01 September 2015

1917 – Lloyds Bank, Andover, Hampshire

Architect: Horace Field & Simmons Field’s work was often in a Wrenaissance style, with influences from the Arts and Crafts movement and Richard Norman Shaw. His commissions including large houses and offices; but...

26 August 2015

1863 – Parson’s Mart, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: J.J. Lyons Parson’s Mart, a commercial warehouse constructed by 1863. Image published in The Dublin Builder, of which the architect John J. Lyons was a founder.

26 August 2015

1875 – St. Catherine of Sienna, Dominican Church, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Church for the Dominicans, foundation stone laid in May 1873. Although dedicated in September 17 187r, the spire was not completed until 1884. The mosaic decoration in chancel & chapels...

25 August 2015

1872 – Ardara House, Comber, Co. Down

A large two-storey house built in 1872 for Thomas Andrews (father of the other Thomas Andrews, designer of the Titanic) in a Italianate style with a projecting eaves cornice and a hipped slate...