Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

06 July 2015

1866 – House, Glenties, Co. Donegal

Architect: Timothy Hevey Never constructed on the site intended for it, opposite the old church of St. Conall on which Hevey also worked. “Our illustration with this No., is of a house to...

06 July 2015

1866 – Arnott’s Warehouse, Bridge St., Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Destroyed during the 1941 Belfast Blitz along with its later extension of 1899 on the corner with High Street. Arnott & Co. rebuilt their department store after the...

06 July 2015

1865 – Design for Albert Memorial Clock, Belfast

Architect: Raffles Brown “The illustration in this number is a design sent in to the recent Albert Memorial Competition in Belfast, by Raffles Brown, which, although not one of those which came to...

04 July 2015

1917 – St. Cartha’s Church, Kilcar, Co. Donegal

Architect: Rudolph Maximilian Butler Published in The Builder, January 5 1917.

04 July 2015

1860 – Church of St. Baithen, St. Johnstown, Co. Donegal

Architect: E.W. Godwin A small severe-looking church, the interior of which has sadly been ruined by modernisation. Exterior finished in rubble stone with sandstone trimmings. Constructed between 1857-60. In 1860 “The Dublin Builder”...

03 July 2015

1898 – Proposed Additions to St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew “The addition which are now contemplated are not without some connexion with its original scheme, uncompleted since its first design in the thirteenth century.” Designed by Sir Thomas Drew...

03 July 2015

1863 – Proposal for Central Metropolitan Hotel, Dublin

Architect: William D’Esterre Smith Proposal by an investment company, the Imperial Hotel Company, for a new modern hotel to be constructed on Lower Sackville, now O’Connell Street. It was proposed to raise a...

03 July 2015

18th C – Grace Hall, Dollingstown, Co. Armagh

Late 18th or early 19th century attractive house with large curved bays on the main facade. During the Second World War this building was used as Billets by 183 Company of the Royal...

03 July 2015

18th C. – Drumboe Castle, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal

Large Georgian house with a polygonal central bay and curved bows to the ends of the wings.Now a ruin, after being used as the General Headquarters for the Irish Free State forces in...

02 July 2015

1917 – Competition Entry for NUI Senate House, Dublin

Architect: Batchelor & Hicks Unsuccessful entry for the National University’s proposed Headquarters at the corner of Merrion Square, Upper Mount Street and Fitzwilliam Street. The City Architect C.J. McCarthy was the assessor of...