Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

12 February 2015

1829 – Belfast Savings’ Bank, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Smith Bank constructed around 1829 for the Belfast Savings Bank Co. Demolished 1941.

11 February 2015

1796 – Graving Docks, Grand Canal Docks, Dublin

The Grand Canal Dock opened in 1796 to much celebration. Originally, there were three graving docks, primarily used for ship repair. The largest was 180ft x 65ft, the second 150ft and the third...

11 February 2015

1911 – Thompson Graving Dock, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Redfern Kelly The dock was constructed by the Belfast Harbour Commissioners and opened in 1911. It was designed to accommodate the new White Star liners Olympic and Titanic. Massive in scale,...

11 February 2015

1610 – Belfast Castle, Belfast, Co. Antrim

John de Courcy built a castle on what is now Castle Street in the city centre in the 12th century. By the early 17th century when Sir Arthur Chichester, from Devonshire, was granted...

09 February 2015

1926 – Durrow Abbey, Durrow, Co. Offaly

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne After the second Durrow Abbey House was gutted by fire during the Civil War in 1923. Ralph H. Byrne was commissioned to oversee reconstruction of Durrow Abbey House for...

09 February 2015

1860 – Durrow Abbey, Durrow, Co. Offaly

The story of Durrow Abbey House is framed by two fires. One in 1843 when the house was under construction destroyed the adjacent Georgian mansion and all the furnishings stored there, the other...

04 February 2015

1941 – Open Air Theatre, Achill, Co. Mayo

Architect: Noel W. Moffett Designed for for Major D.J. Freyer, a member of the International Folk-Dance Committee, and whose home, Corrymore Hous, was adjacent. According to The Irish Builder, Freyer’s intention was ‘to...

03 February 2015

1858 – The British & Irish Magnetic Telegraph Company, 58 Threadneedle St., London

Architect: Horace Jones A Central Office for the British & Irish Magnetic Telegraph Companyat 58 Threadneedle Street opposite the Bank of England. Described as “a rather fanciful and very ornate French Renaissance façade,...

03 February 2015

1738 – St. Finn Barre’s Cathedral, Cork

Built to replace a decaying medieval cathedral, it retained the tower and spire of the old cathedral. Completed in 1738, it was demolished in 1865 to make way for the present cathedral by...


Skip to toolbar