Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

04 January 2016

1862 Dublin Builder Description of the “Architecture of Londonderry”

From The Dublin Builder: “Yielding the consideration of magnitude, there is none other – with certain comparatively trifling and remedial exceptions – in which the ‘Maiden Citie’ will suffer by comparison with any...

31 December 2015

1825 – Favour Royal, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Hargrave The original house of the demense was destroyed in 1823 by an accidental fire, and replaced with a larger structure by Captain John Corry Moutray of Castle Coole. Captain Moutray...

31 December 2015

1878 – Weir’s Bridge, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: Edward Fowler The bridge carried the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway across the River Erne from the Great Northern Railway Station at Enniskillen to the Midland Great Western Railway near Ballisodare...

12 November 2015

1882 – Church, Killusty, Co. Tipperary

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Illustration published in 1890 in The Irish Builder after the church was erected “some time”. As built, it has a bell-cote to the main gable frontage. The interior has...

12 November 2015

1889 – School, Vicarstown, Co. Laois

Architect: Charles Geoghegan “Our illustration with present number shows a perspective view of the schools recently erected on the Vicarstown Estate, Queen’s County, formerly the property of James Grattan, Esq. They have been...

11 November 2015

1880 – House, Ardlough, Co. Derry

Architect: Frederick H. Godwin “This house stands a little way out of the City of Londonderry, and is beautifully situated on the banks of the River Faughan. The ground floor contains: – entrance...

11 November 2015

1879 – House, Chapel-Hill, Derry

Architect: Frederick H. Godwin Born in Donegal, Frederick H. Godwin and his elder brother, William Arthur Godwin, were working in the London office of his uncle Edward W. Godwin. Unfortunately, in 187,1 but...

11 November 2015

1885 – Church and Presbytery, Over Darwen, Lancashire

Architect: Pugin & Pugin Described in The Irish Builder, “This church, the foundation stone of which was laid by the Bishop of Salford on the 3rd of May, last year, was originally designed...

11 November 2015

1879 – Villa, Grosvenor Rd., Rathgar, Dublin

Architect: G.P. Beater Large detached house in Grosvenor Road, finished in late 1878 or early 1879. According to The Irish Builder, constructed by J. and W. Beckett of South King Street.