Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

19 February 2015

1872 – Railway Station, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Lismore was first served by rail when the independent Fermoy & Lismore Railway connected the town with that of the already existing Great Southern & Western line from Mallow to Fermoy in September...

18 February 2015

1968 – Cork County Hall

Architect: Patrick McSweeney Designed by Patrick McSweeney who was Cork County Architect from 1953 to 1975 and designed numerous buildings in and around Cork City. Cork County Hall, was at the time of...

17 February 2015

1861 – St. Mary’s Church, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

Architect: James Hughes Probably designed by James Hughes, of Charlemont, Co Armagh who died in 1875. The Builder of 7 August 1875 notes that ‘the deceased was an architect of ability’ with ‘several...

17 February 2015

1600s – Blayney Castle, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan

The area of Muckno and Ballynalurgan was granted to Sir Edward Blayney under the Plantation of Ulster in 1607 and 1611. Blayney was a Welsh soldier, and built a stone defensive castle, Blayney...

17 February 2015

1814 – Royal Academical Institution, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Soane The Institution was founded by the public subscription of the citizens of Belfast in the early years of the nineteenth century. Designed by John Soane, after a process where he...

17 February 2015

1812 – St. George’s, High Street, Belfast

Architect: John Bowden Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Situated in High-street, and erected in the years 1811-12, on the site of an old church taken down in...

13 February 2015

1833 – Christ Church, College Square, Belfast

Architect: William Farrell Designed to accommodate 1,650, consecrated 25 July 1833 and closed June 1993. After lying redundant for several years, it suffered severe fire damage in 1996, with just four walls and...

13 February 2015

1827 – Meetinghouse, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Duff Opened 20 Sep 1827. Demolished to make way for Presbyterian Assembly building. Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Erected in the year 1827-28, is built...

13 February 2015

1828 – Presbyterian Meetinghouse, May Street, Belfast

Architect: William Smith Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Is raised on framed foundations. The front is of modern or Scammozzian Ionic, having two columns and four pilasters,...