Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

10 November 2009

1862 – St. Mary’s Church, Dingle, Co. Kerry

Architect: J.J McCarthy St. Mary’s was originally a neo-Gothic church designed by J. J. McCarthy. The foundation stone was laid in 1862. It originally had a nave and aisles separated by arcades, supported...

10 November 2009

1843 – Muckross House, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: William Burn Muckross House is best known for its parkland setting beside the Lower Lake at Killarney, but the house is also worthy of its location. It was built between 1839 and...

10 November 2009

1480 (circa) – Ross Castle, Killarney, Co. Kerry

This castle may be considered a typical example of the stronghold of an Irish Chieftain during the Middle Ages. The date of its foundation is unsure but it was probably built in the...

10 November 2009

1840 – St. Mary’s Cathedral, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin In 1840 a local fundraising committee commissioned Augustus Welby Pugin to design a new cathedral, despite having only raised 800 pounds. His design drew some inspiration from the...

06 November 2009

1880 – 39 St. Patrick’s Street, Cork

Corner-sited end-of-terrace six-bay four-storey former department store, built c. 1880, now in use as retail outlet and bank. Rendered parapet with moulded eaves course. Probably a good example of how this side of...

06 November 2009

1726 – St. Anne’s, Shandon, Cork

St. Anne’s in Shandon is known more for its bells than the structure that houses them, due to the famous song “The Bells of Shandon” written by Francis Sylvester Mahony. It is a...

06 November 2009

1770c – No. 74 South Mall, Cork

Like many of the large former residences in the area, this fine house boasts an above ground basement. This basement was used for trade, as many of the owners of these houses were...

06 November 2009

1860 – The Assembly Rooms, South Mall, Cork

Architect Richard Brash & Robert Walker ‘The Assembly Rooms’, designed by Richard Rolt Brash c. 1860, originally known as ‘Protestant Hall’ hosting well know speakers and opera companies of the time. In 1911...

06 November 2009

1889 – Holy Trinity & Capuchin Monastery, Cork

Architect: George Pain / William Atkins / Dominic J. Coakley / Robert Walker This fabulous church fa├žade took many years to realise. Originally commissioned by Fr Mathew in 1825 from George Pain, the...