Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

23 October 2015

1871 – Glenbeigh Towers, Co. Kerry

Architect: Godwin & Crisp Work began in 1867 on what was known as Headley Towers and also, Wynnes Folly. Constructed by Lord Headley – a very unpopular landlord who charged high rents to...

22 October 2015

1881 – St.George’s Building, 37-41 High Street, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Originally built as a commercial building with several units and a large hall for public meetings. St. George’s Hall was also the city’s first cinema, and opened, “for...

22 October 2015

1876 – Cottage Villas, Portbreda Park, Belfast

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons “The two cottage villas shown in the illustration with the present number have just been erected at Fortbreda Park, adjoining the Newtownbreda-road, Belfast, for John Coyle, Esq. The...

14 October 2015

1905 – St. Columba’s Church, Iona Rd., Glasnevin, Dublin

Architect: Ashlin & Coleman Sadly uncompleted, the tower being capped at the second stage, below the apex of the roof of the nave. The interior is largely intact, as constructed, with marble reredos...

14 October 2015

1885 – Drew Memorial Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Batt Unbuilt plans for the extension of existing church, constructed in 1870, and the addition of a school. The building originally started life as a school but due to demand for...

09 October 2015

1869 – Waterpark, Castleconnell, Co. Limerick

Architect: William Fogerty Constructed in 1866-69 – Fogerty’s Victorian villa was a new house in front of existing one, which has been converted into subsidiary offices. For John Lecky Phelps. Published in The...

09 October 2015

1858 – Railway Station, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Architect: Sancton Wood Opened on the 28th of August 1858 replacing an earlier, temporary station some 500m further east, which had operated from 9th of May 1848. Designed by English architect Sancton Wood...

09 October 2015

1898 – Methodist Chapel, Carlow

In the early months of 1897, construction started on this building comprised a chapel and adjoining lecture hall, and in the basement, a tea room or Sunday School room, a store and a...

08 October 2015

1860 – Proposal for St. Andrew’s Church, Andrew St., Dublin

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon More expansive scheme than constructed to replace the church destroyed in a fire in 1860. This illustration appears to show the church (largely as constructed) with schools, hall...