Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

23 September 2009

1880 – ‘Hazelhurst’, Ore, Hastings, Sussex

Architect: W. Hay Murray Designed as the Residence of H.S. Marriott. “Tms house, as it now stands, is the combined production of five or six architects, the original building having been added to...

23 September 2009

1880 – Palace Hotel & Hydropathic Establishment, Southport, Lancashire

Architect: Mangnall & Littlewood Developed by the Southport Hotel Company (funded mainly by Manchester merchants), the Birkdale Palace Hotel was built on a 20 acre site fronting the Birkdale shore. The 200ft long...

23 September 2009

1882 – Christ Church, Ballyculter, Co. Down

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The original church was built in 1629 by Valentine Payne and there is an inscription on the bell to Elizabeth Payne, wife of Valentine. It was restored – renovated...

23 September 2009

1913 – St. Colman’s Cathedral, Cobh, Co. Cork

Architect: E.W. Pugin & G.C. Ashlin Designed by Edward W. Pugin and George Ashlin, this magnificent cathedral, which dominates Cork Harbour from land and sea, took 47 years to build, and was completed...

23 September 2009

1908 – Church of The Sacred Heart, Castletown Berehaven, Co. Cork

Architect: Rudolph Maximilian Butler

23 September 2009

1888 – New Hotel, Crosshaven, Co. Cork

Architect: J.F. McMullen

23 September 2009

1878 – Bank of Ireland, Mill Street, Co. Cork

Architect: Brett & Sons Designed as a branch of the National Bank, the is a fine small-town bank designed in a High Victorian Gothic with fine chimney stacks. The National Bank in Millstreet...

23 September 2009

1879 – Convent of Mercy Chapel, Bantry, Co. Cork

Architect: S.F. Hynes The chapel was a later addition to the Romanesque Revival complex, and was designed by S.F. Hynes. “This chapel is to be built in connection with the Convent of Mercy,...

23 September 2009

1875 – St Lukes, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson & William H. Hill Saint Luke’s Church of Ireland was the third church to stand on the site. Sir John Benson and William H. Hill designed the church in...