Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

02 September 2009

1367 – Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Scotland

The site of the castle was probably first occupied in the Iron Age, although the first documented record comes from the 6th Century. St. Margaret, the wife of Malcolm III, died in the...

02 September 2009

1591 – Canongate Tolbooth, Edinburgh

Once the heart of the Canongate area, the Tolbooth contained a council chamber and jail. The chamber was accessible via the external staircase o the first floor while the jail was beneath it....

02 September 2009

1833 – St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh

St Giles’ Cathedral, the High Kirk of Edinburgh, with its distinctive open crown steeple supported by eight flying buttresses mainly dates from the fifteenth century. Between 1829 and 1833 the building was “modernised”...

01 September 2009

1880 – The Trades House, Glasgow

Architect: J. Salmon & Son

01 September 2009

1880 – Church of St. Peter, Plymouth, Devon

Architect: George Fellowes Prynne The Sanctuary was erected to the designs of George Edmund Street. “The building that has been known by this name for some 40 years was originally built for Rev....

01 September 2009

Royal Architectural Institute of Canada call for submissions for the 2010 Governor General’s Medals

The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) and The Canada Council for the Arts (CCA) are pleased to invite architects to participate in the competition for the 2010 Governor General’s Medals in Architecture....

01 September 2009

1873 – St.Gregory’s Church & Monastery, Downside, Somerset

Architect: Dunn & Hansom Perspective View published in The Building News, May 30th 1873. The building was begun in the 19th century, and ended with completion of the nave after World War I....

01 September 2009

1881 – Savoy Theatre, Victoria Embankment, London

Architect: C.J. Phipps Richard D’Oyly Carte bought the site of the former Savoy Palace (later the Savoy Hospital) in 1880 to build the Savoy Theatre specifically for the production of the Gilbert and...

01 September 2009

1881 – The Exchange Station, Liverpool, Lancashire

Architect: Thomas Mitchell Third Premiated Design for The Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company. The directors of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway selected the following designs – 1st, £750, Mr. John West, 4, South-parade,...