Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

02 September 2009

1847 – The Dome, Edinburgh

Architect: David Rhind Formerly a branch of the Royal Bank of Scotland, and now a bar, The Dome has a impressive sequence of interior spaces. A large hallway leads via a short passage...

02 September 2009

1846 – Scott Memorial, Edinburgh

Architect: George Kemp The Scott Monument was build between 1840-46 as a memorial to the writer Sir Walter Scott (1771 – 1832). Designed by architect George Kemp (1795-1844), who won a competition with...

02 September 2009

1844 – Tolbooth St John’s, Edinburgh

Architects: J. Gillespie Graham / Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin A large Gothic church both in architectural style and for its dark brooding presence. A collaboration between local architect J Gillespie Graham and the...

02 September 2009

1835 – St Mark’s Unitarian Church, Edinburgh

Architect: David Bryce A fine facade with tall roundheaded windows masks a good galleried interior with cast iron columns.

02 September 2009

1829 – National Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: Charles Robert Cockerell The National Monument was built as an act of deliberate folly and contrary to popular lore was not the result of lack of funds. Built as a National Monument...

02 September 2009

1823 – Melville Monument, Edinburgh

Architect: William Burn Built in 1823, the Melville Monument is a 41 metre high tribute to Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville. Described as the most powerful scot of his time and described as “absolute...

02 September 2009

1818 – City Observatory, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: William Playfair The third design for this Observatory, the original building (centre of photograph) is a small cruciform classical temple with a central telescope and dome. The architect William Playfair acquired the...

02 September 2009

1807 – Nelson Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: Robert Burn Designed shortly after the Battle of Trafalgar, the stone tower has some excellent views of the city. The castellated base was added 1814-16 to the design of Thomas Bonnar.

02 September 2009

1784 – St Andrew’s & St George’s Church, Edinburgh

Architect: Major Andrew Frazer Originally designed without the fine steeple, the church was built as an eliptical building with fine portico. The steeple was added three years after completion.