Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Buildings

04 September 2009

1911 – National Gallery of Modern Art, Rome, Italy

Architect: Cesare Bazzani In 1883 the Palazzo delle Esposizioni (Exhibition Palace), expressely built for the occasion by Pio Piacentini, housed the first exhibition held in Rome as Capital City. The exhibition became subsequently...

04 September 2009

1925 – Victor Emmanuel Monument (Il Vittoriano), Rome, Italy

Architect: Giuseppe Sacconi A monument entitled to Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia, first king of unified Italy. Designed by Giuseppe Sacconi in 1885 and was completed in 1935 under the fascist regieme. The...

04 September 2009

1681 – Santa Maria Di Montesanto & Santa Maria Dei Miracoli, Rome, Italy

Architect: Carlo Rainaldi, Gian Lorenzo Bernini The two, almost twin, churches of S. Maria di Montesanto (left) and S. Maria dei Miracoli (right) on Piazza del Popolo were designed by Carlo Rainaldi. Gian...

04 September 2009

1598 – San Bernardo alle Terme, Rome, Italy

The structure of San Bernardo alle Terme is similar to the Pantheon, since it is cylindrical, with a dome and an oculus. The edifice has a diameter of 22 meters. The dome decoration,...

04 September 2009

1606 – Santa Maria in Vallicella, Rome, Italy

Architect: Matteo da Castello / Fausto Rughesi Initially the architect was Martino Longhi the Elder, but he was replaced later by Matteo da Castello. The nave was completed in 1577, and the church...

04 September 2009

1663 – Ss. Dominic & Sixtus, Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, Rome, Italy

Architects: Nicola Torriani, Felice and Vincenzo della Greca The church was built at the order of Pope St Pius V (1566-1572), who was a Dominican. Construction started in 1569, and the complex –...

04 September 2009

1566 – Santa Maria in Traspontina, Rome, Italy

Architect: Giovanni Sallustio Peruzzi Designs by Giovanni Sallustio Peruzzi (with contributions by Ottavio Mascherino and Francesco Peparelli) for a replacement church were in place by 1566, though the papal artillery officers insisted that...

04 September 2009

1589 – San Luigi dei Francesi, Rome, Italy

Architect: Giacomo della Porta The church was designed by Giacomo della Porta and built by Domenico Fontana between 1518 and 1589: the works would be completed through the personal intervention of Caterina de...

04 September 2009

1633 – San Gregorio Magno al Celio, Rome, Italy

Architect: Giovanni Battista Soria The church was erected in the Middle Ages over the house of Pope Gregory I, where he had an oratory, dedicated to St. Andrew, erected in 575. The current...


Skip to toolbar